Friday, March 15

Chiefs 23-23 Hurricanes

The Chiefs and the Hurricanes played to a thrilling 23-23 draw on Friday in Hamilton.

This draw means the 2012 and 2013 champions remains winless after five rounds.

Unfortunately the match was totally overshadowed by the mosque attacks in Christchurch that left 49 people killed.

Both sides scored two tries and two penalties.

The Chiefs was leading 20-13 at half-time and Damien McKenzie missed a 67th minute penalty that could have potentially sealed the win.

Captain Brodie Retallick said he was pleased to finally get points on the board after four losses in the opening rounds but wanted a victory.

“I’m slightly happier than I was in the last few weeks,” he said.

“We hung in the fight for 80 minutes, in previous weeks we might have gone in our shells a little bit and had points put on us,” he added.


Brumbies 19-13 Waratahs

The Brumbies came out on top of the all Australian derby against the Waratahs in Canberra on Friday.

The Brumbies, missing some key players won 19-13.

Both sides scored two tries , but it was the penalty try against the Waratahs that was the difference. The Sydney based side couldn’t defend the rolling mall and the Brumbies got the penalty try.

Brumbies veteran Lachlan McCaffrey, who played on despite appearing to hurt his right knee early in the match, was pleased his team was able to blunt the offence of the Waratahs.

“We knew they have a pretty strong bench and are pretty dangerous out wide, they have an all Wallaby back row,” he said.

“Our hustle defence towards that last 25 minutes was pretty crucial to getting us over the line.

“It was a good test and we were desperate to get a win.


Stormers 35-8 Jaguares

The Stormers was simply too good for the Jaguares beating them 35-8 in Cape Town on Saturday.

With this win the Stormers made it three consecutive wins and will now head on a four week tour of Australasia.

After their opening loss of 3-40 against the Bulls in Pretoria, the Stormers look like a much better team.

Next week they face a tough challenge against the Hurricanes in Wellington.

The Jaguares have a bye.


Highlands – Crusaders – match cancelled due to mosque attack in Christchurch.


Lions 36-33 Rebels

The Lions produced one of the biggest comebacks in Super Rugby history.

Trailing 5-33 at one stage, the home side produced a brilliant second-half to beat the Rebels 36-33.

The visitors from Melbourne looked like they’ve done enough to secure the win, but a four try blitz from the Johannesburg side made the score 33-33, before replacement Gianni Lombard scored the winning penalty after the hooter sounded.

It is always difficult for visiting sides to play at Ellis Park due to the altitude factor. Travelling sides normally runs out of steam in the last 20 minutes and it was evident on Saturday.

The Lions do not look like the side from the last three years though, after losing a lot of key players.

The Lions next face the Sunwolves in Tokyo and the Rebels will travel to Durban to face the Sharks.


Written by Carl Coertzen

Image Credit: Gallo Images