Super Rugby Round 9 has been and gone meaning that most teams are almost halfway through their 2014 Super Rugby season. That is scary! Features of Super Rugby Round 9 included predictable wins for the Chiefs and Sharks, while the Crusaders and Brumbies managed to boost the number of wins by the away teams this round, the Highlanders and Force grabbed home wins which really split the tipsters. Interestingly for those playing SuperBru, more than half of tipsters picked the winners of each game, but given the tight nature of the competition, not many picked all six results to grab a bonus point.
Here are five things to take out of Super Rugby Round 9
1) It is difficult for the favourites like the Chiefs and Sharks to win, although a good team can win when they aren’t at their best.. Neither of these teams have their first choice first five eighth.
2) The Force are on a massive giant killing run having won five on the trot. This result was a massive turnaround from their early round defeat to the Waratahs. The Honey Badger knows how to score tries and grab some “meat”
3) The Crusaders are back in contention. Despite conceding 28 points to the Cheetahs their attack functioned against the paper thin Cheetahs defence to post a half century. The New Zealand conference just got tougher!
4) The home advantage which saw the first seven rounds dominated by the home teams, seems to be subsiding. For the second week in a row, three teams won on the road.
5) The ARU stopped Israel Folau from playing against the Force. Did this impact on your fantasy or virtual picking? Folau is a matchwinner and the Waratahs missed him big time. Should the national body get the final say in who takes the field for their Super Rugby franchise?
Who are the form teams in Super Rugby 2014?
Force, Crusaders, Highlanders, Sharks, Chiefs, Brumbies.
Cheetahs, Lions, Bulls, Reds.
Olec still leads the Super Rugby Tips SuperBru conference from Gecko. There is still plenty of time left as we are not quite halfway through Super Rugby 2014.
Super Rugby Round 9 Results
Highlanders 27 – 20 Bulls
Reds 20 – 23 Brumbies
Chiefs 22 – 16 Rebels
Force 28 – 16 Waratahs
Cheetahs 31 – 52 Crusaders
Lions 12 – 25 Sharks